Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The warmth of hugs

I hugged 3 ladies today - all at different times but the warmth of the hugs lingered in my memories and I felt the love of Christ reaching out through those hugs.






















The first hug was quite early in the morning about 7.50 ish. She is one of my very dedicated teachers. I have seen her come to school even when she is sick and she had produced excellent results for the two subjects she taught at O levels. She came in to ask for my permission to go back early after completing her teaching duties as her son had been warded at the hospital for dengue for the past 4 days. Such dedication! People who are not in the teaching line and often see only the lazy teachers please realize that there are many many quiet dedicated teachers still. Even with her son warded for four days, only now does she ask for some help. Of course I said yes. Then I noticed something in her face. She was on the brink of tears. I asked her if she mind me hugging her. She welcomed me into her arms and we hugged. I asked if she would allow me to pray for her son. She said yes again. I prayed for his full recovery in Jesus name. She is not a Christian yet. Her tears flowed and mine flowed too. I feel good - God's love for people can be imparted through our hugs. Please pray with me for the full recovery of her son from dengue. If God can heal Saras from dengue and bring her back from the brink of death, God can heal anybody!










Case two. 10.30 ish. This particular staff had been reprimanded several times in the course of these 3 weeks by inspection officials from outside. Yesterday she was again reprimanded by 4 more officials and when I looked at the report written by them and asked her some questions, she left in a tantrum shouting loudly she wanted to resign. She left the office earlier than schedule and I let her be because I knew she had had a hard day. This morning before coming to school, I prayed that God would give me the wisdom to encounter her and also His shalom peace to rest on her. She is known by other staff for her volatile temper and literally nobody dares to reprimand her. This morning she appears calmer. I praise her for the two very obvious good qualities I see in her despite her volatile temper - she is very honest and she is highly efficient - meaning she can work through documents and settle payments very quickly. Then I take her through some of the reprimands written in black and white. She is still calm. Thank God! Thank God for His shalom peace upon her. Finally when I have finished and she rise to leave, I ask if I can hug her. She hugs me tightly and cries many tears and apologizes for her tantrum yesterday. The hug have brough reconcilation.
















Lastly a hug of joy! I had an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon and popped in to see Siva, my fantastic physiotherapist! Siva has helped me through many bouts of issues with my hand immobility and pain. She works patiently with two patients - one a ex-boxer who has fractured his arm and has undergone an operation and is healing well. I think he still dreams of making it in the boxing ring - I can see the look in his eyes. Another patient - a lady about my age has the same issues with one shoulder - she had an accident and is learning to raise her hand. I encourage the two patients and reaffirm to them that Siva's treatment can do wonders for our arm's issues. Before I leave, we hugged one another and I feel the happiness flow. So ... ask someone today if they need a hug?? Hug and let the love flow out through you. Be an encourager.

3 comments: